Department of Mental Health WRCH
The new Department of Mental Health public psychiatric facility represents an evolution in modern care and treatment. This 320-bed recovery center opened in 2012 replacing both Worcester State Hospital and Taunton State Hospital. WRCH serves 260 adults and 60 adolescents providing a state-of-the-art environment for patients and staff. The new facility comprises 428,000 square feet and is LEEDS Gold Certified.
- The Worcester Recovery Center and Hospital represents an evolution in modern psychiatric treatment and the building was designed for patients’ comfort.
- WRCH was striving to achieve Leadership in Energy and Environmental Design (LEED) Gold Certification; therefore water conservation was a priority in product selection.
- The 320-bed recovery center and hospital serves 260 adults and 60 adolescents from across the Commonwealth. Products selected for the facility needed to be durable and designed for the safety of its patients.
- Symmons offered a wide array of solutions for this project, including commercial shower systems, low-flow faucets and its custom design capabilities.
- The standard shower trim required alterations to meet the safety requirements of the facility. Using Symmons custom capabilities, a cone-shaped trim with push button for operation was designed, making the product ligature-resistant and safe for patients.
- In 2012, the facility opened offering its patients a safe, independent lifestyle in a modern, home-like environment.
- Symmons custom manufactured 300 shower trims that were installed throughout the facility.